Easter is coming up quick! You may want to keep your furry pal in mind as you prepare to celebrate the spring holiday. This can be a dangerous time for our animal companions. A local vet goes over some Easter safety tips for pets in this article from Arapahoe Animal Hospital, your Boulder, CO vet, serving Louisville and surrounding areas.
Before you set that pretty spring bouquet out, you may want to check what’s in it. Many popular flowers are toxic to pets. Lilies, for instance, are highly poisonous to kitties. Other unsafe flowers include tulips, daffodils, and hydrangeas. Check the ASPCA website here for more information on safe and unsafe plants.
You may not think candies would be very appealing to pets. However, many of our furry friends can’t help but investigate and play with small items. Many of those sweet treats are choking hazards. Candy often contains xylitol, chocolate, and nuts, which are also unsafe for our animal companions. Keep the candy bowl out of paws’ reach.
Speaking of chocolate, this is definitely something you’ll want to keep out of paws’ reach. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which pets cannot metabolize. It can cause symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, vomiting, and diarrhea. In large doses, it can even be fatal. Don’t let your furry buddy have any of those chocolate eggs or bunnies.
April can be unpredictable, weather wise. Make sure your furry friends always have fresh water and access to shady areas.
Having a big Easter dinner? Be careful not to let your furry buddy have anything unsafe. Some things to avoid for dogs and cats include garlic and onions, scallions and chives; grapes and raisins; meat on the bone; raw dough; alcohol; avocado; pitted fruits, and anything that contains xylitol. Other types of pets have their own do’s and don’ts, so check with your veterinarian.
Keep your playful pet in mind as you decorate. Cats are often attracted to anything with ropes or threads. That plastic grass you may find in Easter baskets is definitely something to keep out of paws’ reach; it’s a serious choking hazard! Candles, garlands, and anything small or sharp are also unsafe for both Fluffy and Fido.
Please contact us here at Arapahoe Animal Hospital, your local Boulder, CO vet, serving Louisville and surrounding areas, anytime. We’re here for you!